HISTORICAL PLACES & BUILDINGS

A guide to Berlin's historical Places and Buildings

Gendarmenmarkt

Gendarmenmarkt

The Gendarmenmarkt is considered "the most beautiful place in Berlin". In the historical center of Berlin

it is edged by the Schauspielhaus and the French cathedral and German cathedral. Its history began in the 17th century when French immigrants settled in Berlin. The area was originally designed as a market and in the 17th century it was Linden market, in the 18th century Central Market, then New Market. Eventually in 1799 it was named the Gendarmenmarkt.

The Welcome Card is a great public transportation ticket for every visitor.
It includes discounts with 200 partners, museums and restaurants. Find your ideal ticket!

book here!

The churches emerged after 1701 without the towers. From 1780-1785 two imposing towers were built next to the churches according to plans from Carl von Gontard. Frederick the Great had built a small comedy theater between the buildings, which was 1800-1802 replaced by a new National Theater with 2000 seats. The theater burned down in 1817th. For the 1821 finished royal Schauspielhaus Karl Friedrich Schinkel provided the plans, today's concert hall, which is at the center. During World War II the place was badly damaged. On the occasion of the 250th anniversary in 1950, it was renamed to "Place of the Academy". It got back its original name in 1991.
The magistrate of Berlin issued an order in 1976 for the redesign of the place into an intellectual and cultural center.

 

Video - Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin 

Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin

 

 

Adress: Gendarmenmarkt 5-6, 10117 Berlin
Connections: Französische Straße (U6), Hausvogteiplatz (U2), Bus: 147 (Französische Straße), 100, 200, 147, TXL, N2, N6 (Unter den Linden/Friedrichstraße), 100, 200, TXL, N2 (Staatsoper)

 

 

 

Visit the official Website!

Wikipedia!

Navigate with Google Maps!

© 2016 Welcome to Berlin. All Rights Reserved.